Friday 10 March 2017

Holi Special- Karachi Halwa

HOLI HAI!!!! And from today onwards, the festivities start... I have a simple recipe of ‘not like elastic Karachi Halwa,’ to share with you tonight. I am very particular about food, and this is the perfect blend of chewy softness, married with the crunch and texture of nuts. It’s the perfect food gift to take to a Holi party, if you are invited to one that is. I aren’t, so I am just going to play Holi with my cosy family of 3, and then gorge on some homemade thadai and Karachi Halwa. Write to me about your plans for Holi too.

I made this recipe on Thursday. My day was fully packed with meetings after meetings. I had no time to even drink some water, let alone eating something. So when I came home exhausted, I rewound while making this recipe in the night. It’s a labour intensive recipe, which just needs your muscle power, while your mind wonders off to the crazy events for the day. If you haven't tried it already, trust me; cooking is the greatest stress relievers of all times. The mind wanders off in the thick and thin of philosophy, while hands grease off on the stove. It truly works for me. Try it, I am sure it would for u too. And when the rewards are such sweets, then the family doesn’t complain too.

Ingredients
½ cup Corn flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 tsp vinegar
6 to 7 tbsp melted ghee or butter.
A pinch of salt
¼ tsp cardamom powder, or to taste
1/3 tsp haldi or turmeric powder for colour
1 cup roughly chopped nuts (take all your favourites)
Optional is to add 3-4 drops of saffron essence (I am absolutely obsessed with this find of mine. I added it and everyone loved it. You can alternatively use crushed saffron strands too)



No comments:

Post a Comment

We are always eager to hear your take on food, my way!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...